Friday, September 25, 2009

One Down, One To Go - 28 Hours Away!

Even though you're probably reading this at 8 AM or later, I wrote this around 4 AM.

As I noted previously, I did the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes at the World Peace Bell in Newport, Kentucky. I don't know the exact number, but HUNDREDS were there. WKRC-TV 12's Cammy Dierking was there, also and met my friend Lindsay (pictured in the sidebar at right).

By the way, I continue my efforts to raise money for the JDRF. They still have my page up, so feel free to donate anytime.

I also continue my efforts to raise money for Spina Bifida Association of Cincinnati. At the second picture link at right, you will find my fundraising page for that event. That fundraising effort does continue into 2010 according to the website at sbacincy.org. But I plan to leave the page up until I meet my personal goal of $600. (That's right, it's raised from $300 to double that, thanks to help from my mom's office at Staffmark in Downtown Cincinnati I had raised nearly my entire original goal in 3 days, so I decided to challenge myself. I plan to head to Staffmark's offices later today to meet and thank each and every person who donated, individually and the office teams as a whole. I was told some other things were being done to raise money for the Rockin' Rollers team.)

As I get set to walk on Saturday morning, I think it's a good time to put everything into perspective. I'm just one of 185,000 people in the entire United States of America who has Spina Bifida and there are thousands more around the world - perhaps even a few million.

Coming October 1st, I will do a blog post specifically with the talking points about Spina Bifida - what it is, how it affects people, and some more of the current statistics that are out today. You might be shocked at just how serious of a problem Spina Bifida still is - and how it can easily go undiagnosed for 20 years or more!

I'll try to put it in laymen's terms and avoid as much medical terminology as I possibly can.

Courage + Belief = LIFE

No comments: