Thursday, October 8, 2009

A 5 AM Musing

I sit here at 5 AM East Coast time thinking. I do this a lot in the early morning hours when I SHOULD be asleep but unfortunately am not.

Here's my musing for the morning: Love.

Not love like "I love my girlfriend" (although what I'm about to discuss can and SHOULD certainly be demonstrated to ALL people around us). I'm talking brotherly love.

Here's what I mean: How many of us look around and see people that just truly seem to be invisible to everyone else? Or how many of us take time to CARE for those who no one else seems to? Not just who we WANT to care for, but who NEEDS to hear it from us because no one will tell them?

We as a society have completely lost the plot of love. We use the SAME WORD for how we feel about ice cream, as we do about our families. When the heck did a FOOD become on the same level as a person? (That's a free thought, by the way - not totally related to my point for the day.)

Need I remind you of Romans 5:8? "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Read that again. "...while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Folks, I don't know about you, but that sounds selfless to me. There is NOTHING conditional about that verse! Zero. Zilch.

Wednesday night, I went to an online bible study webcast via UStream.tv which is where we discussed this subject. If you have time today, check this out. In this video, there's a really powerful story in here beginning around the 3 or 4 minute mark. This young lady named Stacey takes time out of her life, and in the process most likely lost some friends, to love a man who she later wound up marrying. He might have had cerebral palsy - but friends, he is NO LESS of a human being than you or I, deserves no less than ANYBODY else on this earth does to be loved, and this young lady made it a POINT to show it.

So my challenge to you is this: How many people will you show unconditional love to today? You don't even have to do something for someone, to show it to them. Just do it for the people who are IN your daily life. Those people who you might not have to interact with daily, will look at you, and will see God IN you.

Courage + Belief = LIFE

No comments: