Thursday, July 9, 2009

April 26, 2004: My first serious accident.

So, a few minutes ago I told everyone I might talk more about the accident on April 26, 2004. I decided I would do it.

Let's set the scene: It's a nice spring day. At the time, I loved to go to local skate parks and ride the ramps. (I don't do it so much anymore.) On this day, I was making my way up to the Ollie's Skate Park (an indoor park) along US Highway 25 in Florence's industrial district.

As I approached the Remke Market along 25, I looked to my left and saw someone in a pickup truck pulling up in the driveway. Now, on a sidewalk, pedestrians are to always have the right of way. (See here, this is Kentucky State Law.) Unfortunately...the driver didn't yield.

Consequently, I was struck from the left side by this pickup truck, dragged under his front bumper for a fifteen foot distance, and remained wedged under there for several minutes.

I was taken to St. Luke West Hospital to be examined - and was released 4 hours later! Incredibly...I WAS OK. No serious injuries! Most people would not have walked away without some broken bones...I DID. My wheelchair, however was TOTALED.

I later went to court against the guy who hit me, and won a settlement of $3800. With that, I bought the desktop computer which I still have today and did a couple other things.

Courage + Belief = LIFE

No comments: