Friday, June 19, 2009

What Are You Thinking, Cincinnati - Closed to Walk-in at 10 PM?

NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: Once again...I take no credit for the idea of "What Are You Thinking, Cincinnati?". That goes to Twitter follower Alex Shebar of the Cincinnati Enquirer. (follow him @ twitter.com/Alexshebar) I just come up with the topics for these particular posts on my blog. Whatever I come up with - try to follow along and see it from my perspective if you can - or from that of someone who maybe has never been here, and isn't used to the way we do things.

I want to share an experience with you that was both kinda disappointing, and at the same time a "what the hell?" moment.

A few years ago, I was leaving a church function at approximately 10:15 PM to head home for the night. Now, I hadn't eaten anything in a while and wanted to grab a bite before getting home, so I decided to head over to the local "yo quiero..." place. You know, the place with the "Big Bell Value Menu"?

Now, those of you who have followed this blog already know my situation. For those who do not...I am a 23, almost 24 year old man who cannot drive, and thus must rely on one of three transportation modes: 1) Busses, 2) Getting a ride to or from a place, and 3) my own four wheels (aka walking/rolling).

Now, I was 20 or 21 at the time. Old enough to drive - but not young enough to do something stupid. I tell you all of this to set up the rest of the story.

I walk up to the Taco Bell - only to find that the place was CLOSED FOR SIT-DOWN SERVICE. Which means, one HAS to go through the Drive-Through window. You can probably guess where this is quickly headed.

They want a 20 year old man, who has NO ability to drive, and didn't feel like walking 2 miles to get someone to drive him 2 miles BACK to the restaurant JUST to get food, to go through the drive through in his WHEELCHAIR AT 10 PM at NIGHT? Are you freakin' kidding me?

Unfortunately, dear readers - I am not.

Again, I'm young - but I'm not stupid. Riding a wheelchair through a damn drive-through is a surefire way to get oneself KILLED. I wanted Taco Bell - but not badly enough to risk my life to get it. And so, I settled for the McDonald's, which thankfully, was open for walk-in service until 11 PM. (By the way, at most McD's I've been to - the situation for walk-in customers is that you have to cross the drive-through lane to get in the building. Could they have POSSIBLY made it a bit more dangerous? That, however, is another rant. I'm adding on to this one with every new thought. Heh.)

I bet you other cities might be more flexible with those who use wheelchairs to get around, but don't drive...At the very least, walk to the door, ask the person what they'd like to order, and bring it out in the bag. At most - Stay open as late for walk-ins as you do for the drive-through, so people like myself can get our Taco Bell fix, no matter what hour it is (as long as the store is open for business for both of course...I don't expect them to be open 24/7.)

And that sets up this question.... What are you thinking, Cincinnati?

Courage + Belief = LIFE

No comments: