Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Letting go...directed at one specific person.

Before anyone asks, NO this is not directed at any blogger friend. Nor is it directed at Suzanne (whose friendship/companionship I will gladly take on any terms that are given to me).

No, this is directed at someone named Dustin.

See, last night my church cancelled our Tuesday night college/singles bible study, due to the move to the new campus on Mount Zion Road. OK I can accept that. But it's been a routine to go to a Christian event on Tuesdays for so long, I felt no reason to give it up for even one week.

So, as I had been a member of the Northern Kentucky University Baptist Campus Ministry in 2005, I knew they had a Tuesday night event called "engage" (that's exactly how it is written). I knew this would be my outlet to be close to God on a Tuesday night.

Going into Tuesday, I knew exactly ONE person who I had any longer than 3 days history with. That was Dustin. He'd been there since 2005, when I was there. I knew nobody else that I'd met any more than 3 days prior.

I'm not sure whether he had a class to attend or work to go to at 6pm on Tuesday or not. If he did, then his departure soon after I arrived on campus is excusable.

If he did NOT, however, have any other pressing matter to attend to on Tuesday, and chose OF HIS OWN FREE WILL to leave and thus, leave me with people I DID NOT know or have any more than 3 days' history with, then that's not excusable.

I was always brought up to believe that it was kinda poor form to leave a friend with people that you haven't made an effort to try and introduce them to. Even at a church event, it's just not right.

And yet, Dustin did exactly that with me. Consequently, I was left to try and get to know between 60 and 90 people, in 4 hours, with NO one to be an intermediary. I don't even remember HALF of the people I met last night! So, I still know exactly one person I have more than three days' history with.

And (with apologies to Randy of The way I see it fame) that's the way I see it.

I'd love to know how YOU see this situation.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Jeremy - did Dustin say he was going to be there? My only thought is I know its hard to be in a room full of people where you don't know anyone - but its the perfect opportunity for you to develop confidence in yourself and introduce yourself to new people. You're an interesting person with many talents - who wouldn't want to talk to you at that event? Especially since you already share a common interest in serving the Lord - a great place to start in my humble opinion. (P.S. I know it's easy for me to say - maybe I need to remember what it was like when I was a lot younger....)